Course Open
Previous Course Layouts

7th Greenimage : Willie Park designed course showing the 7th green with 4th hole in the background taken in 1923.

1864

The records of the London Scottish Rifle Volunteers state that, at a meeting held on 5th November after a shooting match, they agreed to arrange for a golf course to be prepared on Wimbledon Common.

1865

Golf was first played ‘formally’ over seven holes created by the Corps, now called the London Scottish Rifle Volunteers.

1871

The course is extended to 18 holes by Tom Dunne the newly appointed Professional.

1907

Royal Wimbledon began to construct their own course, designed by Willie Park on 240 acres of Warren Farm. This was supported by an article in the Field which stated: 'Wimbledon Common is open not only to golfers who play there by courtesy but also to nursemaids with perambulators and picnic parties'. Warren farm provided the opportunity to escape the ‘perambulators.’

1919

The Captain, Stephen Fairbairn (the Australian oarsman) arranges, at his own expense, a report from Harry Colt, a former member of the club when it was on the Common. Colt's response is to advise the Club that the land on Warren Farm is ideal for making a golf course. In Colt's opinion there was room for a second 9 if not 18 in the low-lying valley. The Club rejects the plan for a second course.

1924

Colt’s course is formally opened by the past Captain Colonel G A Malcolm who drives the first ball. There follows a match with the Oxford & Cambridge Golfing Society which is halved. The changes to the course cost £7,000

1929

Fifteen new bunkers are added and modifications are made to a further fourteen bunkers. Three new tees are created.

1945

Changes are made to the course. The green and tee by Beverley Brook beyond the present ninth tee are lost; the replacement of the seventeenth (formally played from the area of the site of the practice bunker which used to be to the right of the present eighteenth to the ground now devoted to allotments) and the inclusion of the present eighteenth replacing its potentially lethal predecessor with the green at a safer distance from the club house.

2004

The sixth hole is redesigned to prevent balls going in to the gardens on the right hand side of this fairway.

2011

Extensive work begins on a redesign and reshaping of the first and eighteenth holes. To finance these alterations a bond of £350,00 is raised from the Members. These alterations have for purpose elimination of golf balls causing a hazard for owners of houses on the right of the first fairway. These new holes are opened at the Spring meeting of 2012.

Course Map

Course Map

Current Weather